Lemon Meringue Pie
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 230g sugar
- 4 egg whites (reserve yolk for the curd)
- scotch finger 250g biscuits, crumbed
How to Cream Butter and Sugar
1. To make the lemon curd: Combine egg yolks, sugar, butter, lemon juice & zest in a bowl. Set over a saucepan of nearly boiling water. Whisk constantly until curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon.It will thicken more as it cools. Remove and let cool whisking every now and then to help it cool. Cover with plastic so it touches the curd and chill overnight.
2. To make the meringue: Whip egg whites on a medium/low speed until foamy. Cook sugar and 60ml water together. When it becomes thick and syrupy start pouring into the egg whites slowly. As soon as the sugar is incorporated, turn mixer to high and whip until cool.
3. To assemble, fill heat-resistant jars with a layer of crumbed scotch finger biscuits. Then a layer of lemon curd. Repeat until you fill ¾ of the jar. Add a dollop of meringue. Place jars on a tray then place into the oven. Grill on high for up to 2 minutes to toast. Watch carefully or it will burn.
CAUTION: Only use heat resistant jars and watch carefully while it is in the oven. Do not leave it unattended in the oven.
By Brett McGregor