Five Spice Chicken with Prunes and Potatoes
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup Homebrand soy sauce
- ¼ cup plum sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp five spice
- 3 star anise
- 2 onions, cut into quarters
- 1 kg chicken pieces, thawed
- 8 prunes
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ green cabbage, cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, to sprinkle
How to Chop Herbs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place potatoes into a pot of salted water. Cook for 10 minutes until just cooked. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix the ginger, garlic, Worcestershire, soy, plum sauce, sugar, five spice and star anise. Add onions and chicken. Massage the chicken in the marinade. Leave for at least 30 minutes or overnight if you have time.
4. Remove chicken from marinade and put into a deep baking dish. Reserve marinade. Place in oven for 20 minutes. Then remove and drain any oil from the bottom of the dish.
5. Place potatoes and marinade into the dish along with the prunes and chicken. Bake for a further 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked and succulent. Baste once or twice during cooking. Garnish with parsley.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan to medium heat. Add cabbage and season well. Cover with a lid or tinfoil to help steam the cabbage until cooked and golden. Sprinkle with a little soy sauce.
Tip: Try this marinade on a boneless chicken breast. BBQ or fry and chop into a salad when cool.