Spinach Dumplings with Tomato and Herb Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar 13
- 500g frozen spinach, defrosted
- 200g ricotta cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 ½ cup stale breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
How to Chop Herbs
1. Line a large bamboo steamer with baking paper.
2. Squeeze any excess liquid from spinach. Pop in a bowl with ricotta, garlic, egg white, flour, parmesan, breadcrumbs, nutmeg and herbs. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
3. Wet your hands and roll the mixture into 8 balls. Place in a single layer about an inch apart in the bamboo steamer, over a saucepan of boiling water.
4. Cover and steam for 10 minutes until the dumplings are firm and heated through.
5. To make the sauce: pour wine into a pan, bring to a boil and reduce by half. Add tomatoes and return to a boil, cook until thick and syrupy. Sprinkle in sugar and stir to dissolve. Remove sauce from heat and add parsley. Season if necessary. Pour sauce over dumplings and garnish with parsley.
By Jax Hamilton