- 250 ml cream
- 100 ml milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 410 g canned peaches, drained or 2 whole peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced into pieces
- 4 tsp caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. In a medium sized pot, heat cream and milk until hot.
3. Place egg yolks, zest and sugar into the bowl of an electric beater. Whisk until light and creamy and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Slowly pour the hot cream into the yolks and mix well.
5. Divide peaches evenly amongst 4 x 125ml ramekins. Place ramekins into a deep ovenproof dish. Gently pour the cream mixture onto the peaches. Carefully pour hot water around the ramekins until the water comes half way up the side of the ovenproof dish. Place dish in the oven for 35 minutes until the custard is set. Remove from oven and let it cool then refrigerate overnight.
6. Just before serving, sprinkle the top of each ramekin with caster sugar. Place under a very hot grill or using a blow torch caramelise the sugar until just coloured golden.
Tip: Serve with brandy snap biscuits. Place 2 store-bought brandy snaps on a baking sheet into a hot oven for 30 seconds. Remove, unroll to flatten them out. Allow to cool, then break into shards.
By Angela Casley