Chicken and Mushroom Fettuccine
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 300g chicken breast, skin removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 150g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp thyme, chopped plus extra for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp white wine - optional
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 350g fettuccine
- 100g parmesan, grate
1. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add chicken pieces and brown all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Heat remaining olive oil and butter on a medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are soft.
3. Add thyme and deglaze pan with white wine.
4. Add cream and lemon zest to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half. Check seasoning and if needed add 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
5. Cook pasta as per packet directions.Add chicken and pasta to the pan and toss through the sauce.
6. Serve with shavings of parmesan and garnish with thyme.
Tip: Dip a spoon into the sauce turn it over and run your finger along the back of the spoon. If the sauce holds its shape it is ready to go.
By Brett McGregor