Salmon and Rice Parcels
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 100 g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 415 g Homebrand pink salmon
- 2 eggs hard boiled, chopped and 1 egg, beaten
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup rice, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1/2 lemon for juice
- 2 sheets Homebrand puff pastry
- 60 g salad greens
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC.
2. Heat butter in a small saucepan until just beginning to froth, add mushrooms and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Place into a mixing bowl.
3. Flake the salmon very gently into the bowl with onions and mushrooms. Add boiled eggs, cooked rice and gently combine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through the lemon juice.
4. Take pastry sheet and cut in half. Place a large spoonful of salmon mixture at one end. Using a little water wet the edges of the parcel then take the other end and close it. Join the edges and seal the sides.
5. Continue until you have 4 parcels. Score the top of the pastry with a knife to create a diagonal design and brush with egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
6. Combine and toss salad ingredients together. Serve parcels with a side of green salad and lemon wedges.
Tip: As an alternative, you can make one large parcel by using the pastry sheets to create a 30x35cm rectangle. Spoon the filling into the centre and join edges and seal the sides. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
By Brett McGregor