Berry Semi-freddo with Berry Sauce
- 500 g mixed frozen berries, thawed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 120 g caster sugar
- 1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- 100 ml cream
- 2 sprigs mint, for garnishing
1. Line a 23cm x 12cm loaf tin with plastic wrap, leaving plenty overhanging at the ends.
2. Place berries into a kitchen blender and whizz until smooth. Pour into a fine sieve and push through into a bowl removing the pips.
3. Place yolks and 100g caster sugar in a bowl. Beat until light and creamy.
4. Fold the yoghurt through the egg yolk mixture. Reserve ½ cup of berries, add the remainder to the eggs and yoghurt.
5. Whisk egg whites and remaining sugar until near stiff but not too dry. Fold through the berry mix gently. Pour into the lined tin and cover. Freeze for at least 4-6 hours.
6. With the reserved berries add 1 Tbsp icing sugar and stir through.
7. To serve, slice the semi-fredo into thick slices, serve with a little of the reserved berry sauce and garnish with mint.
Tip: Semi-freddo means half frozen, so if you have left your dessert in the freezer overnight or longer remove 15 minutes before serving. For a special occasion add 1 Tbsp of your favourite liqueur.