- 50 g Sugar
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 3 strips Orange peel
- 3 strips Lemon peel
- 10 Cloves
- 1 Star anise
- 750 ml Red wine (a fruity wine is great)
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
1. Into a large saucepan place 1/2 cup water, sugar, bay leaves, cinnamon, orange and lemon slices, cloves and star anise.
2. Bring to the boil, then return to a simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the wine and heat slowly for 15 minutes.
4. Strain through a fine sieve, then return to the pot to keep hot.
5. To serve sprinkle a little nutmeg on the top of each glass.