Slow Cooked Country Chicken
- 4 Tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1kg chicken pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 150g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 400g diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped plus extra to garnish
- 3 Tbsp cornflour
- 800g potatoes, peeled
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup milk
How to Chop an Onion
1. Turn slow cooker onto low.
2. Place seasoned flour into a clean plastic bag with the chicken pieces and shake the bag so that the chicken is evenly coated.
Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan. Place floured chicken into pan and brown pieces on all sides.
3. Remove chicken from pan and add bacon, onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms.
4. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, remove vegetable mix and place into slow cooker. Top vegetables with chicken pieces. Add tomatoes, stock and parsley. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
5. Remove chicken from slow cooker and keep warm.
6. Make a smooth paste from cornflour and 3 Tbsp cold water and stir into the chicken juices. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes on high so that the juices thicken.
7. For the mashed potato, boil potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain well, then mash. Stir through butter and milk then season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve the chicken drizzled with the thickened sauce and mashed potato, garnished with parsley.