Pumpkin and Kumara Soup with Crispy Bacon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- salt to taste
- 600 g pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 400 g orange kumara, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 cups Oxo vegetable stock
- 8 rashers of Signature Range streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 4 crusty sesame seed bread rolls
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large saucepan on medium low heat. Add onion, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add pumpkin, kumara and spices. Stir and cook for 5 minutes turning to coat the vegetables in spices.
3. Add stock to cover the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cook until pumpkin and kumara are breaking apart and easy to mash or blend. Purée mixture until smooth. For a thick consistency don’t add any more water at this stage. For a slightly thinner consistency add a cup of water and season to taste.
4. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan and fry bacon until golden and crispy.
5. For each serving, place 2 pieces of bacon on top of the soup and garnish with pepper and parsley. Serve with bread rolls.
By Brett McGregor