Chickpea and Tomato Curry
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- Large pinch chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 x 420g Select chickpeas, drained
- 2 x 400g Homebrand diced tomatoes
- ½ cup coriander, coarsely chopped plus extra to garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Homebrand long grain rice, cooked according to packet instructions
- 4 Tbsp plain yoghurt
Heat oil over a moderate heat in a deep frying pan. Add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, cinnamon and turmeric. Fry gently for 10 minutes until onion is soft and browned.
Add chickpeas and tomatoes, mix well, bring to the boil, then simmer 15 minutes until thick. Add coriander just before serving.
Season to taste, serve with steamed rice and a dollop of yoghurt for each portion.
Smart tip: Store ginger in freezer, wrapped tightly so it will last for several months.
By Ray McVinnie