Pulled Pork Sliders
- 2 kg NZ pork shoulder (bone-in)
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- few sprigs of thyme
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice (or half apple juice, half cider)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 30 soft white dinner rolls
- 1/2 cabbage, shredded (less if the cabbage is large)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley or coriander
- 1/2 cup aioli
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
1. Place the pork in a baking dish and rub with the spices and herbs. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 130°C. Pour the apple juice around the pork, cover with foil and cook for 5 hours. Remove the foil for the final 20 minutes of cooking. Make sure there is around 2cm of liquid in the dish; if not then add a little extra apple juice. You will know when the pork is ready as it will be falling off the bone.
3. While the pork is cooking make the coleslaw. In a bowl place the cabbage, onion, carrots, parsley and peanuts in a bowl, then toss to combine. Add the aioli and toss again. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
4. Once the pork is cooked, pour the liquid from the dish into a bowl and allow to cool, skimming off the fat as it rises.
5. Once the pork is cool enough to handle, remove the skin, fat and bone; then using two forks, flake the pork into small pieces. Place the pulled pork in a bowl.
6. Combine the liquid in a saucepan with barbecue sauce and simmer until the sauce is thick. Mix the sauce into the pork.
7. Heat the dinner rolls in the oven then fill with pulled pork and coleslaw, serve while still warm.
By NZ Pork