Hearty Bacon Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 bacon hock
- 1.2L water
- 400g Homebrand whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 300g pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 420g can Select cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 silverbeet leaves, centre rib removed, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Chop Herbs
Heat oil in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and bay leaves and cook until just softened. Add celery and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and cook for a further minute.
Add bacon hock, water, tomatoes and thyme. Increase heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, uncovered for an hour. Add pumpkin and carrots and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Remove hock from the soup pot to a plate until cool enough to handle. Add beans and cook for 30 seconds, add silverbeet and simmer until just wilted. Strip the meat from the hock, chop it, and return meat to the pot. If needed, add 1 cup of water to the soup to thin it to your preference and ensure it is not too salty.
Remove bay leaves before serving and season with freshly ground black pepper.
By Brett McGregor