Country Lamb Shanks
- 4-6 Quality Mark lamb shanks, trimmed of end knuckle
- 4 Tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups Campbell’s real beef stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 orange rind grated
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1. Mix the seasoned flour and paprika in a plastic bag, add the lamb shanks and toss to coat. Reserve any remaining flour.
2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or frying pan and brown the lamb shanks, a few at a time. Set aside. Stir in the onions and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add the remaining flour and cook for a further minute.
3. Stir in the beef stock and orange juice and, once a sauce is formed, add the prunes, barley, orange rind and thyme. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole or transfer to one. Cover and bake at 160°C for 2-2½ hours or until the meat is tender. Alternatively cook in a slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.
4. Season with salt and pepper if wished before serving on mashed kumara and beans.
By Beef + Lamb New Zealand