Savoury Herb Cheesecake with Caramelised Leeks and Carrots
- 120g oats
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 250g cottage cheese
- 100g cream cheese
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, washed, trimmed and diced
- 2 carrots, washed and diced
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 125g butter, melted (not hot)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
2. Preheat oven to 150ºC.
3. Crumb oats in a food processor, or put in a bag and crush with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs. Add 125g butter, salt and pepper and half the Parmesan, mix well. Using the back of a spoon, press into the base of the tin.
4. In a large bowl, beat together cottage, cream and grated cheese, eggs, herbs, spring onions, salt and pepper until well combined.
5. Spoon over the oat base and sprinkle over remaining Parmesan.
6. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the middle is firm to touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes. If you remove it too soon, it will fall to pieces because it sets as it cools.
7. Heat remaining butter and oil in a frying pan. When bubbling, add leeks and carrots. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add half the stock, stir well and reduce heat.
8. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove lid, increase heat, add remaining stock and brown sugar. Taste and season. Cook for 5 minutes or until caramelised.
By Jax Hamilton