Homemade Mince Pie
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml beef stock
- ¾ cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 carrots, to serve as carrot sticks
- 5 potatoes for mashed potatoes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
1.Preheat oven to 200ºC.
2.Cut each pastry sheet into 4 equal squares and brush top of each with beaten egg. Put the squares on a tray, place in oven and bake for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and cool.
3.Heat oil over moderate heat in a deep frying pan and add onion, carrot, lemon zest, garlic and rosemary. Fry gently, without browning, until the onion is soft. Add mince, increase heat and fry, breaking up lumps as you go. Cook until mince is browned. Mix in flour and tomato paste then add the beef stock. Simmer for 10 minutes then add mixed vegetables.
4. Simmer for another 4 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper and reheat pastry squares in oven. Serve mince in between pastry halves.
5. Serve with mashed potato and steamed carrot sticks.