Lemon and Thyme Roast Chicken
- 1kg chicken pieces, thawed
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 bulb garlic, halved horizontally
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 800g loose brushed potatoes
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas
- 60g butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place chicken pieces into a roasting pan. Place lemon slices and garlic among chicken pieces. Sprinkle over thyme and dot 30 g of butter over the top. Drizzle over oil, season and bake chicken pieces in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
2. About 20 minutes before the end of the chicken cooking time, place potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook potatoes until they are just soft (about 20 minutes). Remove pan from the heat and drain off the water.
3. Meanwhile, when the chicken is almost cooked and the potatoes are nearly ready, bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to the boil. Place broccoli in boiling water and, after a minute, add peas. Cook vegetables for 2-3 minutes further, or until broccoli is just soft.
4. Remove pan from heat, drain the vegetables and add remaining butter and potatoes. Shake the pan to coat the vegetables.
5. Serve the chicken and lemon slices with the vegetables.
By Brett McGregor