- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ litres vegetable stock, hot
- 400g pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and chopped
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place half the pumpkin pieces on an oven tray and bake until soft. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then purée. Sauté remaining half of pumpkin in a frying plan with 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter until tender.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until just soft (about 2-3 minutes). Stir continuously. Add rice and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes. Ensure rice is coated with oil.
3. Add white wine and continue cooking, stirring often, until absorbed by the rice.
4. Pour in enough stock to completely cover the rice (about 3 cups). Continue to cook, stirring often, until all the stock is absorbed.
5. Pour in one cup of stock and stir until it has been absorbed. Repeat again with 1 more cup, stirring until the rice is tender and most of the stock has been absorbed.
6. Reduce heat so the risotto doesn't simmer. Stir in sautéed and puréed pumpkin. Stir in Parmesan and remaining butter to give the risotto a nice, creamy finish. Spoon immediately into heated, shallow serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
By Brett McGregor