- 500 g beef mince
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800 g Homebrand canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- large pinch sugar
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g dried cannelloni tubes
- 40 g Parmesan, grated
- 1 broccoli
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add beef to the frying pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go. Cook for about 10 minutes or until brown. Remove mince from the frying pan and set aside. Drain off any excess fat.
3. Add oil to the frying pan and cook onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add beef back to the frying pan.
4. Add 1 1/2 cans of tomatoes with oregano and sugar and simmer the beef mixture for 20 minutes.
5. To make the white sauce: Heat butter in a small pan. When it is foaming, stir in flour and cook mixture for 1 minute. Add milk gradually, stirring all the time to avoid lumps forming, then cook the sauce for 2 minutes, still stirring it continuously.
6. Remove pan from the heat and season the sauce to taste. Cover pan with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming on the sauce and set it aside.
7. To assemble the cannelloni: Spread the remaining tomatoes over the base of a large baking dish. Spoon the beef mixture into the cannelloni tubes using a teaspoon and place the tubes on top of the sauce. Pour over white sauce and sprinkle over the Parmesan.
8. Cook the cannelloni in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the pasta is tender and the topping is golden. Serve with steamed broccoli.
By Brett McGregor