Chicken and Potato Salad with Almonds
- 800 g boiling potatoes
- 3 skinned, boned chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 handfuls handfuls of iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 handful salad greens
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp mint, chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 3 Tbsp chives, thinly sliced
- 4 large gherkins, diced 1cm
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain well and cool completely. Crush potatoes slightly with a fork and set aside.
2. Put chicken breasts in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Season with salt and bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the heat, drain and cool.
3. Slice the chicken thinly across the grain of the meat and set aside. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a small frying pan and fry almonds until browned. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
4. Put iceberg salad leaves into a wide bowl and salad greens on the top.
5. Put potatoes, celery, carrot, onion, mint, 4 Tbsp olive oil and vinegar into a separate bowl and mix well. Taste and season.
6. Place potato mixture on the salad greens.
7. Mix the chicken, mayonnaise, mustard, chives and gherkins in a separate bowl. Taste and season. Then top the potatoes with the chicken mixture.
8. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.