Courgette and Bacon Carbonara
- 500 g fettuccine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 rashers bacon, sliced
- 4 courgettes sliced on an angle
- 4 eggs
- 100 g Parmesan cheese, grated finely
- 100 ml cream
- 1 cup fresh herb leaves (e.g. basil, thyme, parsley)
- freshly ground salt to taste
- pepper to taste
1. In a large pot of salted boiling water cook pasta per packet instructions.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon and cook for 4 or 5 minutes until slightly coloured. Add courgettes and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs with a fork and add Parmesan cheese, cream and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Drain pasta, and add to the bacon and courgette mix. Toss through.
5. Turn off the heat, and add the egg mixture to the pan. Stir until well combined.
6. Serve straight from the pan with a little extra Parmesan on top.