Sweetcorn Croquettes with Apple Slaw
- 400 g canned sweetcorn, drained
- 3 large potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 Tbsp milk (warm)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 bacon strips, rind removed, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup stuffing mix
- 250 ml canola oil
- Apple Slaw
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 white cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 apple, cored and sliced thinly
- Garlic bread
- 1 baguette
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
How to Chop an Onion
1. Put potatoes into a saucepan with salted water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender. When cooked, drain well, mash, add the milk, season and place in a large bowl.
2. Gently sauté your onion in the oil until soft and translucent, increase the heat, add the bacon and fry until the bacon is cooked through.
3. Add the drained corn kernels, onion, bacon and grated cheese to the potato, season and mix well. Divide the mixture into eight and with wet hands mould into thick sausage shapes.
4. Place the egg and stuffing mix in separate shallow dishes, with a lip. One at a time, dip the croquettes in the egg then roll in the stuffing mix to coat.
5. Pour your oil into a frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Cook the croquettes, in batches turning so they are golden brown and crunchy.
6. To make the apple slaw: Mix all ingredients together, chill until ready to serve.
7. To make the garlic bread: Preheat oven to 180°c. Slice baguette open lengthways, mix together butter, garlic and herbs. Spread evenly through baguette. Wrap in foil and bake for 10 minutes or until butter is oozing and bread is crispy.
8. Serve croquettes with the apple slaw and garlic bread on the side.
By Jax Hamilton