Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- pinch Chinese five-spice mix
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 500 g chicken breasts, skin and bones removed, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour, dissolved in 1/2 tbsp cold water
- 500 g Select frozen Chunky Vegetable or Stir-Fry mix
- 2 cups rice, cooked according to packet instructions
How to cook perfect rice
1. To make the sweet and sour sauce, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar and five-spice in a small pan. Simmer gently over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Stir-fry chicken until the strips have sealed (they will look white). Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the chicken slices and toss so that they are evenly coated.
3. Add the frozen vegetables and stir-fry over a low to medium heat until the vegetables are piping hot and the chicken is cooked through.
4. Pour in the cornflour mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
5. Serve with rice.
By Food Magazine