Bacon, Egg and Potato Pie
- 400 g flaky puff pastry
- 6 rashers bacon, rinds cut off
- 450 g potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm chunks, boiled until tender and well drained
- 100 g frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 9 eggs & 1 beaten egg for brushing
- salad to serve
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 200°C. (180°C fan-forced)
2. Divide the pastry into 2 equal pieces. Roll half the pastry out on a floured surface and line a 22 cm diameter by 5 cm deep, loose-bottomed flan tin.
3. Layer a third of the bacon on the pastry. Add the potatoes, making sure they are evenly spaced. Break 6 eggs and put each one in amongst the potatoes. Be careful not to break the yolks. Layer another third of the bacon on top. Scatter out the spinach and place on top of the second layer of bacon. Break the remaining 3 eggs on top of the spinach. Finish with another layer of bacon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the pie, crimping the edges shut. Brush with beaten egg, make a few slits in the top and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until well browned, puffed and well cooked.
5. Remove from the oven, cool a little then serve in wedges with salad if desired.