- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Sweet chilli sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 400 g beef or pork schnitzel, sliced
- 2 tsp oil
- fresh or dried noodles for 4 people
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- ¼ green cabbage, finely sliced (about 2-3 cups)
1. In a bowl, combine oyster sauce, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce, garlic and salt. Add schnitzel and stir to coat the meat evenly. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate while you prepare the vegetables and noodles.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a wok or heavy-based frying pan. Add a quarter of the marinated schnitzel, tossing quickly until the meat is sealed. Remove from the pan and set aside. Continue cooking in small batches adding a little more oil if required. If you add all the meat at once, the pan temperature will drop significantly and the meat will stew rather than seal.
3. Cook noodles according to packet instructions while the meat is cooking.
4. When all the meat is sealed, return it to the pan. Scrape any remaining marinade into the pan, add eggs and toss to combine well. Add the spring onion and cabbage and stir-fry so that the cabbage becomes coated in the marinade and begins to soften.
5. Drain noodles thoroughly and add to the pan, folding them through the other ingredients. Continue cooking until the mixture begins to look almost dry, then add the bean sprouts. Serve in bowls.
By Food Magazine