Italian Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- 300 g penne pasta
- 1 onion
- 6 Alpine or Italian pork sausages, casing removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 800 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 50 g Parmesan cheese
- a few basil leaves
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet directions.
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage meat, stirring to break it up as it cooks, then add the onions and garlic. Stir well, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the onion has softened and the sausage is completely cooked through.
3. Add the tomatoes with their juice, oregano and season to taste. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to break down.
4. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir well to combine.
5. Serve with few basil leaves to garnish.
By Brett McGregor