Beef Schnitzel with Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/2 cup oil
- 400 g beef schnitzel
- 8 tbsp 5 tbsp flour, seasoned with salt & pepper for Schnitzel & 3 Tbsp for potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten with a dash of milk
- 2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 250 g frozen mixed veges cooked according to packet instructions to serve
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. You will need 2 plates and a bowl. Scatter flour over first plate and season with salt and pepper. Beat eggs with milk and mustard in a small bowl. Mix breadcrumbs with herbs on the second plate.
2. Dust schnitzel in flour, then dip into egg mixture, and finally into the breadcrumbs, pressing on to coat. Place crumbed schnitzel onto another plate. Repeat with the remaining beef schnitzel.
3. Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat. When pan is hot, add 2 schnitzels to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove to serving plates. Repeat with remaining schnitzels.
4. To make the scalloped potatoes: melt butter in a small sauce pan and blend in flour. Let sit for a minute, then combine. As it starts to froth add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Season with salt and stir in ¼ cup of cheese.
5. Place half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased casserole dish. Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes. Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
6. Sprinkle over remaining cheese and top with paprika. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 180?C or until the potatoes are soft.
7. Serve the schnitzel with scalloped potatoes and mixed vegetables.
By Brett McGregor