Beef and Mushroom Pasta Bake
- 300 g beef mince
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 800 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp beef stock powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 200 g (2 heaped cups) dried pasta, e.g. penne
- 1 1/2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Tbsp butter or oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
1. Brown the mince in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, stock powder and sugar and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.
3. While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the packet directions, then make the cheese sauce.
4. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a saucepan. Turn the heat to low and stir in the flour. Mix together well and gradually add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to create a smooth, lump-free sauce. When all the milk has been added, stir the sauce continuously with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken. Do not allow it to boil.
5. When the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stir in the grated cheese. Mix together well, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Drain the pasta and stir it into the meat sauce. Pour the meat sauce into a heatproof dish, smooth over the top and spoon over the cheese sauce. Grill the pasta bake until it is piping hot and golden on top.
Recipe courtesy of Food Magazine.
By Food Magazine