Creamy Chicken and Basil Pasta
- 300-400g fresh tricolour fettuccine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, crushed
- 300g chicken breast, skin and bones removed
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, blanched
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (made with 1/2 stock cube dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated or shaved parmesan
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Cook the fettuccine according to the packet instructions and drain.
In a frying pan, heat the oil and sauté the onions, garlic and chicken until the chicken is cooked. Add the peas, stock and cream and simmer for 1 minute.
Add the cooked pasta, basil and parmesan. Simmer for a few minutes until the pasta is heated through and the sauce is creamy. Season well and serve with the extra parmesan.
Smart Tip: If the creamy sauce becomes too sticky before serving, add a few tablespoons of boiling water. You can use leftover roast chicken meat in this recipe.
By Food Magazine