Fish & Chips with Coleslaw
- 600 g hoki or other firm white fish, skin and bones removed
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 600 g agria potatoes, cut into chips
- oil for cooking
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup soda water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (optional)
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1. Into a medium sized bowl place the self rising flour, salt and egg. Slowly add the soda water, and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
2. Wash and dry the hoki on paper towels, and cut into pieces ready for cooking.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with paper and place potato onto the tray. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat evenly. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Toss and cook for another 15-20 minutes until crispy.
4. Fill a medium sized pot 2/3 full with oil, and heat. To check if the oil is hot enough, drop in 1/4 tsp of batter, it shoudl bounce to the top and start to brown.
5. Toss the hoki in flour and dip into the batter.
6. Using tongs place 2 or 3 pieces at a time into the oil. They will pop to the top when ready to turn. Flip them over with tongs to ensure even cooking. Remove when golden in colour, and place onto paper towel to drain.
7. To make the coleslaw - Toss the cabbage, carrot, parsley, nuts and mayonnaise in a bowl.
8. Serve the fish with hot chips, coleslaw and lemon wedges.
Tip: Dusting the fish in flour before dipping it in batter helps it to stick and coat the fish evenly.