Rolled Beef Rib Roast
- 1-1.2 kg rolled beef rib roast
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup stock
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Wipe roast with damp paper towels.
2. Combine flour, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub all over beef. Place the roast, fat side up in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes per 500g for a rare roast or 40-50 minutes per 500g for a medium roast.
3. Once cooked, cover with foil and let stand for 15-20 minutes for easier carving.
4. Reserve the cooking juices to make a gravy or jus, if desired.
5. Serve with a jus or brown gravy, roast parsnips, blanched baby beetroot and green beans.
Gravy: Drain excess fat from the roasting tin. Put the roasting tin directly over a low heat, sprinkle in the flour and mix into a thick paste. Slowly add 1 cup of stock, stir continuously to avoid any lumps, the gravy will thicken as it comes back up to the boil. Season to taste and strain the mixture into a jug.