Pepper and Garlic Roast Beef with Béarnaise Sauce
- 1-1 1/2 kg pepper and garlic beef roast
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp finely diced onion
- 3 tsp fresh tarragon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup melted butter
- lemon juice (optional)
1. For the meat: Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Remove the meat from its plastic wrapping and allow the meat to drain. Place it on a rack in a large baking dish, skin side up. For a medium roast cook for 30 minutes per 500g.
3. Once cooked, rest the meat for 10 minutes before carving across the grain.
4.Serve with whole roasted garlic, your favourite vegetables and a béarnaise sauce.
5. Béarnaise Sauce: Combine vinegar, wine, onion, black pepper, and half of the tarragon in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until reduced by half. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool. Then add the egg yolks to the reduced vinegar mixture. Whisk until thick and pale.
6. Return pan to a moderately low heat and continue to quickly whisk the mixture reaching all over bottom and insides of pan. To moderate the heat, frequently move pan off heat for a few seconds, then back on.
7. As they cook, the eggs will become frothy and increase in volume, then thicken.
8. By spoonfuls, add the melted butter, whisking constantly to incorporate each spoonful. Continue incorporating butter until sauce has thickened. Taste and season with salt, the remaining tarragon and, if desired, pepper. Add a few drops of lemon juice if necessary.