- 3-4 Tbsp lemon zest (rind)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2-3 large lemons)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp salted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Remove the zest from the lemons using a zester or peeler (be careful to avoid getting any of the white pith). Juice the lemons then place juice, zest and sugar in a medium sized saucepan and heat over medium-high heat stirring to combine.
2. Bring to the boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until it has melted. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Beat eggs into cooled lemon mixture until well blended.
3. Return to heat and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats spoon. Do not let the lemon curd boil, as it can cause the mixture to curdle.
4. Remove from heat. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools.