Chicken and Bacon Salad
- 1/4 French stick, sliced 1cm thick
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 3 Tbsp capers
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled, yolks separated from the whites
- 500g chicken thighs, sknned and boned, each thigh cut into 4 across the grain of the meat
- 4 rashers rindless bacon diced 3cm
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush the slices of bread with olive oil and place side by side on a baking tray. Season and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Remove from the oven and cool. Break the bread into bite sized pieces.
Put the spinach, capers, tomatoes, onion and the chopped egg whites into a salad bowl.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan over moderate heat and add the chicken and bacon. Pan fry for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the bacon is crisp.
Add this to the salad with the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Toss the salad. Push the egg yolks through a sieve onto the salad and serve.