Brett's Larb Gai
- 2 Tbsp long grain rice
- 1 skinless and boneless chicken breast, finely chopped
- 2 chicken thighs, trimmed off fat and finely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 2 and 1/2 dried red chillies, ground
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, finely sliced for serving
- 1 red chilli, sliced
Heat a frying pan over a medium heat.
Add the rice and toast until golden, tossing to brown the grains evenly.
Cool, then grind the rice to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle.
Place the chicken in a saucepan and just cover with water.
Put the pan over a low heat and gently bring to a simmer. Continue simmering until the chicken is just cooked, then add the lime leaves, dried chilli, lemon and lime juice, shallot, red onion and fish sauce.
Stir through the mint and coriander leaves and ground rice.
Arrange the cucumber slices in the bottom of a serving bowl, top with the larb and sprinkle with sliced fresh chilli.