Beef and Guinness Casserole
- 1 kg blade or cross-cut steak, cut into 5cm cubes
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups Guinness
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 12-18 dried prunes
- 1 orange rind, pealed
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a moderately high heat. Brown meat in batches and transfer to a casserole dish.
2. Add onions to pan and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Sprinkle flour over and stir well to coat onions. Gradually pour in the Guinness and stock. Bring to the boil to make a smooth sauce. Pour over meat in casserole dish. Mix in bacon, thyme, prunes and orange rind.
4. Cook at 160°C for 1½ - 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes.
By NZ Beef and Lamb