Beef Bolar Roast with Red Wine Jus
- 1 Kg Beef bolar blade roast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil pure
- 1/2 Tspn salt
- 1/2 Tspn pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 4 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cup full bodied red wine
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 15 g butter
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Preheat your oven to 160ºC. Place the beef into a roasting dish and brush the meat with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil, then season the whole roast with salt and pepper.
2. To make the crust create a paste by mixing together the garlic, thyme, mustard and the remaining olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then rub this mixture over the top of the beef.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine to the roasting dish, then place the dish in the pre-heated oven. Roast for 40-50 minutes for rare, 50-60 minutes for medium or 60-70 minutes for well done.
4. Remove beef from the oven, loosely cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes before carving.
5. To create the jus, add the brown sugar to the remaining cooking juices in the roasting dish. Place the roasting dish onto your stove or cook-top over a low heat and stir until all of the sugar is dissolved. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve and reduce the jus until it thickens slightly. Add the butter and stir until melted, this butter will add a lovely sheen and texture to your jus. Carefully pour the jus into a warm gravy boat or small jug.
6.Slice the beef across the grain. Serve with blanched green beans, brown mushrooms, roast tomatoes and drizzle the red wine jus over the meat.
Cooking times (per 500g):
Rare 20-25 minutes
Medium 25-30 minutes
Well done 30-35 minutes