Kumara Topped Fish Pie
- 1 kg Orange Kumara, peeled
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g butter + 75g butter, extra
- 500 ml milk
- 500 g tarakihi or snapper
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced finely
- 2/3 cup flour
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g prawns
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley + parsley to garnish
- 6 eggs, boiled for 8 minutes and peeled
1. Slice the kumara into 1cm-wide circles Cook in salted water, simmering for about 20 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain well.
2. Leave the kumara to cool, then purée in a food processor with the salt and butter. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat the milk to a gentle simmer. Add the fish and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it is cooked through. Scoop the fish out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Transfer the remaining milk to a separate bowl and set aside.
4. Using the same saucepan melt the butter. Add the onions and sweat them for 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir for a further 2 minutes.
5. Gradually add the milk to the flour mix, stirring continuously.
6. Stir in the cream and prawns, bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Flake the fish into the sauce and add the parsley.
7 . Slice the boiled eggs in half and add them to the pie, stirring gently to combine.
8. Spoon the pie mixture into a 26cm-diameter pie dish.
9. Using a spatula, smooth the puréed kumara evenly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve piping hot.
By The Food Magazine