Warm Chicken & Pear Salad
- ½ cup sugar + 3 tsp extra
- 1 cup pecans
- 6 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- salt to taste + 1/2 tsp extra
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g rocket or watercress
- 4 pears, cored and sliced
- 300 g blue cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 8 slices streaky bacon (or prosciutto)
How to Cut an Avocado
In a pan add first measure of sugar and pecans. Caramelise by melting the sugar slowly until the pecans are coated and no sugar grains are visible. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove from heat and place onto an oiled tray to cool.
Make the dressing by combining the red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, oil, garlic, second measure of sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Use a jar or plastic container with a lid and give it a good shake to blend.
Arrange watercress or rocket, pears, blue cheese, avocado and red onion in a bowl. Pour over the dressing and sprinkle caramelised pecans on top.
Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally. Place between plastic wrap or baking paper and beat with a rolling pin until about 1cm thick. Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each piece of chicken. Pan fry chicken in an oiled pan until golden and crispy on each side. Rest for a few minutes then slice diagonally. Serve with the salad.