Smoked Chicken & Kumara Pie with Herb & Garlic Crumble
- 2 sheets flaky puff pastry
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups diced orange kumara (about 4 medium peeled kumaras)
- 200 g smoked chicken breast, diced
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 350 ml hot chicken stock
- 3 slices bread
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp chopped herbs, eg, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- 30 g melted butter
- green salad to serve
- garlic bread to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a medium serving dish (29cm x 19cm) with the pastry sheets and trim neatly. Chill until required.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, crushed garlic and celery until soft and fragrant. Add the kumara and smoked chicken and sprinkle over the flour. Add the hot stock and stir together. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the kumara is just tender.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the bread, garlic and herbs and pulse to make coarse breadcrumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse to mix.
4. Spoon the smoked chicken and kumara mixture into the pastry-lined pie dish and sprinkle over the crumb topping.
5. Place the dish on an oven tray and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until pastry is golden and the pie is bubbling. Serve with green salad and garlic bread.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Jo Wilcox. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
By The Food Magazine