- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg lean boneless lamb meat, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 chorizo sausages, roughly sliced
- 1½ cups red wine
- 1½ cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 fresh rosemary
- 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained well
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- crusty bread to serve
Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish and brown the meat in batches. Set the meat and any juices aside in a dish.
Add a little extra oil if necessary to cook bacon and onion until onion is soft and transparent.
Add the garlic, carrot and chorizo and cook for a further 2 minutes. Return the meat and any juices to the casserole dish.
Increase the heat and add the wine, stock and tomato paste, thyme and rosemary. Cover the casserole dish with the lid and cook in the oven for 1½ hours.
Remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the drained beans. Return the casserole to the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Bernadette Hogg. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
By The Food Magazine