Kumara Vegetable Stacks with Melting Cheese
- 1 red kumara
- 1 orange kumara
- 1 gold kumara
- oil spray
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 100 g baby spinach, blanched or wilted in the microwave
- 2 roasted capsicums, cut into 5cm squares
- 1/2 cup mozzarella or grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- leaves from 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
How to Microwave a Kumara
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Slice the kumara into 1cm rounds and arrange them on a lined baking tray. Spray the rounds with the oil and season with salt to taste. Bake the kumara for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
Layer the different coloured kumara slices with the wilted spinach, capsicum squares and cheese so that each stack has three layers of kumara and cheese is the final layer.
Bake the stacks for 10 to 15 minutes until they are heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Season and serve drizzled with the olive oil and garnished with the fresh thyme leaves.
Courtesy of Food Magazine. Recipe by Jo Wilcox. Photography by Shaun Cato-Symonds.
By The Foodtown magazine