- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 5 rashers rindless bacon, diced 2cm
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 chicken thighs skinned and boned, each cut into 3 across the grain of the meat
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 baby waxy potatoes, well scrubbed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tbsp cornflour mixed with 4 Tbsp water
- 1 cup cream
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley, plus extra leaves for garnish
Heat the oil over moderate heat in a large wide, deep pan. Add the thyme, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, leek, bacon, and mushrooms. Fry gently, without browning, for about 10 minutes until the onion is soft.
Add the chicken and mix well, letting the chicken brown all over. Add the wine and allow to bubble. Add the potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are tender.
Bring back to the boil and stir in the cornflour mixture so that the fricassée thickens. Stir in the cream and bring back to the boil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Add the parsley and mix well. Remove from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes so that the chicken absorbs the sauce.
Serve sprinkled with extra parsley.