Beer-battered Pacific Oysters with Dipping Sauce
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 spring onion, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 100 ml lime cordial
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Beer-battered Oysters
- 2 L canola oil
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 300 ml can beer
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oysters
1. Mix dipping sauce ingredients together and set aside.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large pot or wok to 180ºC. Mix together 2 cups of the flour and the beer until they reach a smooth consistency, then fold in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
3. Pat dry the oysters with paper towel.
4. Lightly coat the oysters with the remaining flour. Then dip in the batter and deep-fry in the hot oil until they are golden.
5. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
Tip: Avoid dark, strong-flavoured beer when making the batter so as not to overpower the oysters’ delicate taste. For a variation, drizzle the dipping sauce over fresh raw oysters and enjoy.