Courgette and Bacon Carbonara
- 4 eggs
- 500 g pasta, shape of your choice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 slices bacon or pancetta, sliced
- courgettes sliced on an angle
- 100 g parmesan cheese, grated finely
- 100ml cream
- 1 cup fresh herb leaves (e.g. basil, thyme, parsley)
- Freshly ground salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. In a large pot of salted boiling water cook pasta per the packet instructions.
2. In a large frying pan heat the oil and add the onion, garlic and bacon (or pancetta) to cook for 4 or 5 minutes until slightly coloured.
3. Add the courgettes and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork lightly and add the parmesan cheese, cream and herbs. Add plenty of freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
5. Drain the pasta, and add to the onion mix. Toss through.
6. Turn off the heat, and add the egg mixture to the pan. Stir until well combined.
7. Serve straight from the pan with a little extra parmesan on top, and freshly ground pepper.