Chicken Salad Filled Lettuce Cups
- 1kg Macro boneless chicken thighs or breast, diced into 1cm cubes
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup currants (optional)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ cup chopped pitted black olives
- ⅓ cup chopped red capsicums
- ⅓ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp capers
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
- 1 avocado, flesh removed and diced into 1cm cubes
1. Place the diced chicken in large bowl season with salt and pepper, add the lemon zest, thyme, olive oil and combine. Rest for 15 minutes then cook on the BBQ at medium to high heat. Once cooked, remove from heat and let cool in a bowl.
2. In another bowl soak the onion in cold water for 15 minutes then drain and add to chicken.
3. Soak currants in lemon juice for 15 minutes. Drain and reserve the juice. Add currants to the chicken.
4. Cut celery in half crosswise and place in a pot of boiling salted water, blanch for 45 seconds, then chill under cold water. Drain, dice and add to chicken. Stir in olives, capsicum, parsley and capers.
5. Whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper and the liquid from currants. Stir into chicken mixture. You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
6. To serve, spoon chicken mixture into whole lettuce leaves and top with a few cubes of diced avocado. These can be rolled and eaten by hand or on a plate.