- 400 g white fish, chopped roughly
- 1 spring onion
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (eg parsley, dill and tarragon) plus 1/4 cup for tartare sauce
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 egg yolk
- zest of 1 lemon, plus juice for the tartare sauce
- ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 hardboiled egg, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 Tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 Tbsp gherkin, chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 burger buns
- green lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
1. Into a food processor place the fish, spring onions, 1/4 cup chopped herbs, chilli, egg yolk, lemon zest breadcrumbs and sesame seeds. Pulse until combined but not too fine.
2. Shape the mixture into four burger patties. Cover and refrigerate until required.
3. Make tartare sauce by mixing the mayonnaise, 1/4 cup mixed herbs, chopped egg, capers, gherkin and lemon juice together in a small bowl, and set aside while you cook the burgers.
4. Preheat a BBQ or frying pan to a medium heat. Add the oil, and then place the burgers on the hotplate for 4 or 5 minutes before turning for another 4 or 5 minutes. Set aside while you warm the buns.
5. Serve with a dollop of tartare, lettuce leaves and tomato.