Caribbean Chicken & Corn Salsa Salad
- 500g chicken thighs or breasts, skinned & boned
- 100 ml chicken stock
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ spring onion, thinly sliced
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- ½ tsp Homebrand brown sugar
- 3-4 sweetcorn cobs or 1 can of corn kernels
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, skinned, stoned and diced 2cm
- 1 red capsicum, cored, seeded and diced 2cm
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 Tbsp runny honey
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 handfuls baby cos lettuce leaves
How to Clean your BBQ
1. Put the chicken into a bowl and add the stock, allspice, chilli, spring onion, lemon zest and brown sugar. Mix well and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. If using fresh corn cobs cook the corn in boiling water for 5 minutes. Allow to cool then slice kernels off the cob.
3. Put corn, red onion, avocado, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, coriander, honey, vinegar and 3 Tbsp of the oil in a bowl and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Drain the chicken, brush with remaining 2 Tbsp oil and oven grill or barbecue on moderate heat for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and rest the chicken for 5 minutes. Slice the chicken across the grain of the meat.
6. Place lettuce leaves on serving plates, and arrange the corn and avocado mix and chicken on top. Serve immediately.
Marinating the chicken in stock means chicken remains moist when cooked.