Bunless Herbed Lamb Burger
- 600 g lean lamb mince
- ½ onion, chopped finely
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 Tbsp grated carrot
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- ½ cup Macro Gluten Free Rice Flour
- 100g tasty cheese, grated finely (optional)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped smoky streaky bacon (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 16 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1. In a large bowl, combine the patty ingredients (except the oil). Use your hands to gently mix together.
2. Lightly oil the palms of your hands. Roll and shape the mixture into 8 medium balls.
3. Put half a cup of flour in a bowl and coat the balls evenly. Then, using the palm of your hand flatten each one out so they are even in shape and about 1cm thick.
4. Brush burger patties and mushrooms on both sides with olive oil. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Heat the BBQ to a medium heat. Grill the burger patties and mushrooms until the patties are cooked through and mushrooms are golden in colour.
5. When the patties and mushrooms are cooked, place half of the mushrooms rounded side down and nestle burger patties on them. Top the patties with your choice of burger fillings then place the remaining mushrooms on top, rounded side up.
SMART TIP: You can substitute lamb mince with any ground meat e.g. beef, chicken and they will bind well and keep its shape. Alternatively, replace the lamb patty with Macro Free Range boneless chicken thighs seasoned to your taste.