BBQ Thai Chicken Thighs with Mango Salad
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp lemongrass paste or 1 stalk of lemongrass sliced and pounded to form a paste
- 1 shallot, pounded into a paste with the lemongrass
- 1 kaffir lime leaves, scrunched and sliced finely
- 1 tsp chilli flakes, plus 1 tsp extra for salad
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce, plus 1 tsp extra for dressing
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 green mango, sliced thinly
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ cup coriander, sliced
- ½ cup mint, sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic & chilli paste
1. For the chicken: Combine the turmeric, lemongrass, shallot, kaffir lime leaves, chilli flakes, white pepper, fish sauce and peanut oil in a bowl. Add the chicken thighs, cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
2. Heat the BBQ to a medium heat and place the chicken onto the hot grill. Leave it and do not move for 3 minutes.
3. Turn and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes. Continue to cook another 4 minutes turning occasionally until cooked through.
4. Make the salad dressing: Whisk together 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp garlic & chilli paste and 1 tsp fish sauce in a small bowl and reserve.
5. Prepare Thai mango salad: combine mango, 1 tsp chilli flakes, red onion, coriander, mint and sesame seeds in a bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss to combine.
6. Serve chicken together with the Thai mango salad.
SMART TIP: This marinade is great with fish as well.